Slow and Steady Wins the Plate


Interning at a foodie paradise like APB has given me a chance to meet a lot of really interesting people.

Recently I met this lovely lady, Anandi Soans, who is the Director ­– South Asia for Slow Food International.

Slow Food? What’s that?

Slow Food is a global movement that aims to counter the “fast food” phenomenon that has consumed our world. The aim of this movement is to restore people’s awareness, appreciation and love for locally, traditionally and fairly produced foods.

Anandi had come to meet Rushina to discuss Terra Madre Day, a Slow Food event, and Rushina introduced me to her. The three of us got talking. At first it was a slightly formal discussion about what Slow Food is currently doing in India and the various organizations it is building up a network with. But soon we were chatting about all kinds of things related to food, travel, Mumbai...

Before we realised it, it was time to close shop and head home for the day! Anandi offered me a ride home and as we continued to chat on the way, I learned that she has had a really interesting professional journey through the world of food.

She started with a bachelor’s degree in food technology from RMIT Australia. She then joined Heinz, the ketchup company, as a food technologist in the nutrition department. She moved on to developing and testing recipes for new products for the company. Soon, she told me, she was working not only on developing new recipes, but also marketing them to prospective consumers such as large food chains. This led her to pursue a Masters degree in Food and Marketing at UniSG Italy, an institute founded by Carlo Petrini, who is also the founder of the Slow Food movement. And it was here that she began her career with Slow Food International. If that isn’t an exciting journey full of diverse experiences in the profession of food, I don’t know what is!

During our ride home, she also gave me lots of advice on how I could pursue my own career in food.

Subsequently I met her again and we chatted some more. She recommended organizations with whom I could possibly intern, and even offered to introduce me to the people she knew at these places!

Here was yet another person who was so easy to connect with, so forthcoming, and genuinely eager to help. Thank you so much, Anandi!
 

Comments