Diabolical Kitchen Disasters

Everyone who cooks has probably met this devious devil named the Kitchen Disaster.

I've met him on multiple occasions.

Just today I decided to brave the journey down his driveway, knowing full well that I'd probably bump into him at the end of it.

I took up the daunting task of trying to whip cream without any legitimate whipping devices – no kitchen-aid, no electrical whip, not even a balloon whisk! All I had at my disposal a small fruit fork, a buttermilk blender (a medieval stick blender of sorts), and as a last resort, wire tongs that could be rotated into a make-shift balloon whisk type thing.

I started with the fork. But there was too much cream and too little fork... So I tried the buttermilk blender. After 20 painful minutes I began to see a tiny flickering light at the end of the kilometer long, pitch black tunnel, as the cream began to thicken a little.

As it approached the consistency of almost soft peaks, I decided I'd suffered long enough, and that I’d go the last leg with the electric stick blender. (I’d seen a baker do it with fair success on a YouTube tutorial…)

But guess what?! It undid my half hour of tireless whipping! UGH. Technology is supposed to make life easier. As the foamy cream sank so did my heart…

I tried one last time with the makeshift balloon whisk thingy – with about as much success as before.
I was as deflated as my “whipped” cream.

But I’ll admit something: when it comes to cooking I can be a bit proud. And when the kitchen devil hurts my pride, I order a rematch. And I win.

So tomorrow I shall start again, with a fresh bowl of cream. And when I do, the forearm muscles I toned from today’s episode will come in handy! ;)

Share your kitchen disasters with me, let me know that i'm not alone in this battle! 

Comments

  1. I once tried making cake... I couldn't :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put in way too much baking powder, and way too much of everything, so it just stayed gooey :P

      Delete
    2. Have you baked after that? did it work out better?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your thoughts :)