Japan for a Day

Today I met an old friend, Navneeth, from Poorna school days. We had made plans to go for Japan Habba together. Japan Habba is an annual cultural exchange fair between Japan and India.

Navneeth and I
This time it was held at Jnana Jyoti auditorium near Freedom Park. There were stalls everywhere exhibiting origami, Japanese writing, Japanese knives, universities, tours to Japan, everything! There was even a kimono-wearing corner, where I went and tried on a kimono and like a typical tourist, posed for some pictures in costume!

I'm fascinated by the bold, swift strokes they write with, using the japanese brush pen
Shivani-san in a Kimono!
Of all the things, I was most looking forward to some Japanese food! God knows I love sushi and I've been having the most raging sushi cravings for quite a few months now. So I went hunting for the food stalls -- but I was rather disappointed. Amongst 3-4 Indian food stalls, in the corner stood one lone table selling Japanese food. They had noodles, some tuna and veg sushi and two types of bento boxes (a sectioned box containing a full meal - a Japanese equivalent of a tiffin dabba).

I had tuna sushi, which naturally triggered more sushi cravings. I've since been asking all of my friends whether they'd like to take me for a sushi meal soon.

Tuna sushi with wasabi and pickled ginger

Another thing that the fair had on exhibit was the traditional Japanese tea ceremony -- something I've seen on TV and always wanted to see in person! Unfortunately, just as we reached that area of the auditorium, we found them packing up the equipment. They had finished the only demonstration for the day. I don't know when I'll get a chance to see it again, but hopefully at the next annual Japan Habba I shall.


Comments