Korean Lunch Date with Self: Check!

Last week I went and explored this Korean restaurant I've been wanting to try. I didn't originally plan on writing about it because it was such an impulsive plan, and so I didn't end up taking pictures. And it was also the first time I really went on a lunch date with myself and much as I pretended like I wasn't, I was too self conscious to take pictures of the meal... I was determined to get through the meal with a great deal if poise and look like I was an experienced eater-aloner.

The place is called Hae Kum Gang, on Castle Street, in Bangalore. I've been having massive cravings for any sort of good Asian food for weeks, and this happens to be the favorite restaurant of one of my friends, who doesn't stop raving about it! So that day, on the bus ride home I was looking their menu on my phone and I just gave in to the cravings. On a whim I just hopped off the bus and I went!

I waited for an auto in the pouring rain, got donated an umbrella by a kind-hearted stranger, and finally made it there. After spending much too long examining the menu -- I wanted to try so many things and although I had the appetite that day, I am living on a student budget -- I decided. I had what interpreted to be like a Korean equivalent to "South Indian Meals". It was called a Chulpan Set. I had the pork Chulpan set. So basically, it was Korean-style grilled spicy pork, served on a sizzler platter, along with a whole list accompaniments - rice and soup, pickled radish, kimchi, some other pickled vegetables, bean sprout salad, and some vegetable fritters - all laid out in bowls around the sizzler plate!

For a meal for one it was quite a spread. It covered my entire two-seater table! At first I asked for a fork, little unsure of my 'swift and stealthy' chopstick skills. But I decided to give it a shot - what with the agenda of trying to look poised and experienced and all - and I think it's safe to say I managed fairly decently. In some reviews I read of the restaurant, it said that a Chulpan set may be too big for one person alone but I polished it off more than happily! I think it was half thanks to my whopping appetite that afternoon, and half thanks to the sheer deliciousness of the food.

My desperate hankering for Asian food was satisfied! ....for now.

Comments

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your thoughts :)