Dear Rushina: Intern Again

Dear Rushina,

I am thinking of you now more than ever, because the time has come for me to be an Intern again!
After two whole years of being a student, I am returning to the intern life for two months. This time, at a Luxury hotel here in Bangalore – the ITC Windsor.

Intern days at APB Cook Studio, circa 2013-14

It is strange, exciting and nerve wracking, all at once, as you can imagine. I have never worked in such a huge organization, with so many new faces and so many complex levels of protocol. It is rather intimidating, I must admit!

Most times, it hardly feels like it’s been two years since I was last an intern, and you took me under your wing! I still feel like it was just last year that I was buzzing around the studio, writing emails, researching cuisines, making pantry lists and blurbs for classes, learning the ways of the rapidly growing food industry, and of course, binging you coffee!

I couldn't have asked for a more warm, generous and amazing mentor!
The experiences are still so fresh, along with the unforgettable aroma of star anise sugar cookies. The warmth of the studio, the family that I had formed there while learning all that possibly could from you, is something I may not find again as in my intern years. It will certainly be a different, much more trying environment at the hotel – pushing me well out of my comfort zone. And in my nervous state, I cannot help but think of you, and the support and guidance you gave me when I was only just beginning to explore this world of food.

My APB Family
My APB Family
But of course, I also wanted to share with you my excitement! I will be working in the four core departments of hospitality at the hotel – Food and Beverage Service (restaurant operations), Food and Beverage production (kitchen and bakery), Front Office (guest reception and check ins) and Housekeeping (rooms and accommodation). I cannot wait to see first hand so many of the concepts and procedures we have learn about in BHM in the past two years.

It is bittersweet to begin my journey as an intern at a new organization that is not APB Cook Studio.  I can’t wait to see what the next two months have in store for me. This time, in such a different environment.

"Shivani Unakar: Trainee"

So I am going to embrace the nervousness, and do what an intern must do best – keep my eyes and ears open, ask questions in plenty, and try to learn as much as I can.

More updates soon, as I try to chronicle my new learnings and experiences, as an intern once again!

Love always,

Shivani

Comments

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your thoughts :)