Exploring Bangalore’s Brewpubs

Having grown up visiting the likes of Hotel Victoria (you old Bangaloreans may remember this one), Koshy's, and Windsor Pub with my family, good old Kingfisher Premium had been the only beer I ever got to taste. But ever since a couple of classmates and I made a short film on Bangalore’s beer culture and the concept of microbreweries for an assignment last semester, I’ve has an increasing curiosity about craft beers.

Craft Beer at Arbor Brewing Company, Bangalore

We shot the film at Arbor Brewing Company, Bangalore, where the master brewer showed us the microbrewery and explained their brewing process to us. Since then, Arbor was on the top of my list of Bangalore brew pubs to try. And being a student of food and beverage studies I felt a little ashamed that I was so unfamiliar with this fantastic section of craft beverage that had taken the country by storm in the last half-decade or so.


The 7 beers they had on tap, plus the seasonal Smoked Summer which was over for the season

Our set of 7 flights - small glasses about the size of pony tumblers


And so finally last week, I visited Arbor Brewing Company. We asked for tasters, or “flights” as they’re technically called, of all 7 of the brews they currently had on tap. I personally liked the Raging Elephant IPA, and the Smooth Criminal honey lavender ale the most.

The Raging Elephant IPA
The Smooth Criminal honey & lavender ale
At present I’m trying to learn more about craft beers in India and their appreciation. And I can’t wait to experience more craft beers around Bangalore. More updates as and when I do, so stay tuned!


Comments