Updates from Meghalaya

Ever since I've arrived in the North East it's been an adventure - in the true sense of the word! We got lost in the local market - a labyrinth of lanes and shops and street-side vendors. We were suddenly left without a taxi driver the day before we were set to leave on our 7-day excursion into the interiors of the East Khasi Hills. Even after finding a new taxi, we got lost on the road several times. We climbed up and down 2,300 steps to go to one particular village and learn about their food practices. We even got chased by a wild bull in a valley, one evening!

And every day since I got here, I've been in a new town or village, learning something new about how people live and eat, the significance of the food they eat, how they buy or grow or forage for their food, and how these practices have evolved.

Clockwise: my meal in Mawpdai Village, near the Bangladesh border, the kitchen in which mt hosts cooked the meal, a local lime or "sojaw" from the market, and some wild "horclap" greens foraged from the backyard


I can't wait to share all that I've learnt on my food adventure, once I'm back in Bangalore! Until then, some visual updates via Instagram and Twitter. Stay tuned, and please share your thoughts!

Comments