Day 2

If you know me at all, or if you've read some of my earlier posts, you'll know that I'm slightly in love with ice cream.

For ages now I've been dying to make ice cream and sorbet at home. Since I don't own an ice cream maker I've been furiously researching alternate methods, and over the course of this project I hope to do a fair bit of experimentation with frozen desserts.

This evening was my first attempt. I am making a custard based ice cream this time, in good old coffee flavour. Custard-based ice cream is not the easiest of the methods I found; I just picked it because I had all the ingredients on hand.

I had a shaky start, and at one point I was 100% sure I had ended up over cooking the custard and scrambling the eggs in it, and that that was the end of tonight’s experiment. But turned out it was only a little grainy, nothing Mr. Strainer couldn’t take care of. Apparently that’s how it’s supposed to work. So, not so disastrous, that!


Now while my ice cream hibernates in Freezer-land, I will take a night-long nap, and check on it in the morning. 

Since coffee is my favorite flavor of ice cream, I’ve eaten a fair share of good coffee ice cream. So if this one gets my stamp of approval I’ll share the recipe with you tomorrow. Wish me luck!



Comments