Day 3

Although yesterday's coffee ice cream was relatively successful (it tasted like real ice cream), I was not completely happy with the recipe. For one it was too sweet, and for another, despite adding Baileys (a little alcohol is supposed to lower the freezing point and so reduce crystal formation) it had small chips and flakes of ice. More experimentation required to make it a smother ice cream...

Tonight I made sorbet. 

I'd been wanting to do something with strawberries before they completely disappeared from the market, and I decided that a sorbet it would be.

I'd had a fresh strawberry and black grape juice at a cafe in Bombay and I found it to be a really yummy combination, so I decided I'd also add black grapes to my sorbet. 


As usual, I was in awe of the brilliant hues of the fruits!

Half way down the process, tasting both fruit purées individually, and then mixed together, I realized that although they taste good together, they negate some of each other's integral flavor notes. I guess I could say that they complement each other but don't create an interesting contrast...

While trying to identify what flavors may create interesting contrasts to these two fruits, I had an idea for another experiment... but since I didn't have the right ingredients in the kitchen tonight, more on that after grocery shopping tomorrow. :D


Comments