Day 19: Kitchen Garden Experiments


In my ongoing explorations as an evolving foodie, I am trying to grow a kitchen garden, and over time I am hoping to grow some of my favorite herbs and spices, as well as some exotic ones, so that I can use these cool ingredients to experiment with flavors and garnishes at my whim. My inspiration? Obviously Jamie Oliver! Oh, how I wish I had a backyard as large as his, and my own Brian or Pete to help me with it! :D

Jamie and Brian in the garden: from an episode of 'Jamie At Home'
(Source:http://peterjnsn.wordpress.com/2013/04/26/two-peppers-within-a-pepper-and-two-other-things/)

Currently my kitchen garden only comprises of young bok choy plants (unfortunately being attacked by leaf boring pests!!).

A few weeks ago I had bought some turmeric root and mango-ginger root from my local vegetable vendor. I used part of it in my cooking but I saved some to try and plant it. So this afternoon I left them in a tub of water to see if they will sprout.

The roots (technically called rhizomes) that I have aren’t very young, but they are not dry either. They’re about the same state as the average ginger roots one usually keeps handy at home.

The turmeric and mango-ginger have been in the water for about half a day, and but haven’t sprouted yet. From what I’ve read I should be able to plant them tomorrow and then wait with fingers crossed.


Tomorrow I will also soak a few cloves of garlic in a tub to see if those sprout. Apparently garlic pods can be planted directly into the soil and needn’t be soaked first, but I want to see if the garlic I have at home is likely to sprout at all.

As you may have gathered, I’m a gardening novice and I’m sort of learning things as I go… So I would love suggestions and inputs from you seasoned green thumbers reading this!

Comments