Day 4

Went back to Vijay Fish Stall this morning to buy Mori – shark fish, only to find that he had none today. Settled for crab (hah! “Settled”).

Also tried that little experiment I had spoken of yesterday –




Grape and red chili chutney! It was a brainwave I had yesterday while trying to think of flavors that would work (surprisingly) well with grape. While the sweetness and sourness and the flavors of the tannins in its skin hit the right spots on the center of my tongue the spice of the chili mildly tingles its outer edges… this is what I meant yesterday about an “interesting contrast” of flavors. The chili, unlike pepper, which I also tried for spice, didn’t clash with the flavors of the grape, because underneath the spice red chilies have a fruity flavor.

Comments

  1. Very interesting combination!!

    Here's a suggestion: rim some shot glasses with kaala namak, then spoon the sorbet into the glasses, and serve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully it wasn't one of those experiments that ended up tasting horribly wrong! Like some of the ones I conducted when I was younger... Haha!

      This one isn't gonna grow up to be a sorbet. He's a chutney.. and what I found was that salt kills the sweetness of the grapes, which is half the fun. But that may be interestign on a plain grape sorbet, perhaps. I'll keep it in mind :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your thoughts :)